Monday, June 18, 2012

Louisa's Pita Calzones

          Today I had literally 10 minutes to feed myself lunch before running off to go babysit. I'm so sick of sandwiches I could die, and unfortunately our Easy Mac supply is dithering. So, I got creative. I decided to make mini calzone pita bite... things.          We have these mini pita rounds that we use with hummus, but I wanted to stuff it and make a mini calzone.  I started by cutting a slit in the pita so I could stuff it with what I wanted. We didn't have any pizza sauce, but we had a little spaghetti sauce in the fridge. I spooned about two tablespoons of marinara sauce into the pita, and then I stuffed them with mozzarella and pressed them shut. I could've put pepperoni or ham or some other topping in them, but I was low on time, so I stuck with just cheese.  I put them in the oven for about 7 minutes on 375 degrees until the cheese was melted and gooey.  
          I had no idea how these were going to turn out. I just threw them together as a random experiment, and I didn't expect much. For a pretty sad attempt at a garnish, I tossed on a little fresh parmesan. They really didn't look like the most appetizing thing in the world, but I popped one into my mouth, and they were great! I successfully made my own little pizza bites, and they were a wonderful experiment. I will definitely make these again.

                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment