Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Everything Pizza Post






            Pizza takes many forms.  It is also one of my guilty pleasures within the realm of food.  From traditional italian to cold pizza for breakfast, pizza is awesome.
            I grew up ordering delivery pizza at least once a month on a Friday night.  The conclusion I've come to is that they're all the same.  They all have garlic smothered crust and tomato sauce and heaps of cheese.  Dominoes' thin crust pizzas that have fresh ingredients (tomato, basil, etc) are a good change of pace for a not-too-pizzalike-pizza.
            I've definitely come to appreciate the kind of "middleman" pizza franchises, like Mellow Mushroom and Fellini's.  Their pizza tastes like it was made by a human rather than a machine.  I also really enjoy the tough chewy crusts they have.  I usually ask for some ranch to dip them in when I'm done; I'm afraid my teenager side really comes out around pizza.
            To show that I had room to be talking, I made my own the other day.  I thought I'd make something a little different, so I made my own interpretation of a white pizza.  I knew I wanted completely fresh ingredients, and I knew I wanted to keep it simple.  Publix sells pre-made pizza dough in the bakery.  I bought one of those to take some of the hard labor out, and I added a decent amount of salt.  Salty crust is the key to authentic tasting pizza.  I made my own pesto for a base using fresh basil, olive oil, and garlic.  Then I added feta cheese and lots of fresh mozzarella.  I put lots of spinach on top and drizzled it with olive oil to keep the spinach from withering dry. Then I baked it until the crust was golden and the cheese was bubbly.
Fresh Ingredients
Basil Pesto
Feta and Mozzarella
Spinach
My White Pizza!
            I must say my pizza was very delicious.  My family approved as well.  Fresh ingredients are really the only key to a good pizza.  It wasn't very difficult either, and it was fun to make!  Maybe next time we go to call pizza hut I'll make my own instead.  

Thanks for reading!
The Teenage Foodie

No comments:

Post a Comment